Parks & Recreation Update for June 28, 2012
06/28/2012 | Dave Nash, Public Affairs Coordinator
It's National Parks and Rec Month
Yuma Plays Summer Giveaway; Calendar; Exhibit
A special Parks and Recreation Month event calendar of activities and event ideas is available for free in the City Hall lobby. While at City Hall, visitors may view "Then and Now - A Reflection," a series of framed photographs and newspaper articles that juxtaposes Parks and Recreation events, facilities and milestones of the past with their place in the present.
Also at City Hall, fill out an entry form for a chance to win one of four free prize packages up for grabs in the Yuma Plays Summer Giveaway. One representative per household, 21 or older, may enter to win a kayak trip for 12 down the Colorado River; an "It Had To Be You" theater package for four; a Desert Hills Golf package for four; or a pool party for 12 at the Valley Aquatic Center. Drawing will be held July 31; winners need not be present and will be notified (hint - it helps to properly fill out your entry form and make it legible!). Prizes are not transferable. No purchase necessary. Additional rules may apply.
Events Happening In A Park Near You
Kennedy Skate Park Grand Re-opening Friday
Come and celebrate the re-opening of the Kennedy Skate Park 7 p.m. Friday, June 29. The skate park has been under construction for the installation of new skate park equipment donated to the City of Yuma by Destiny Christian Church. This newly installed skate park equipment will bring much needed improvement to the park. Grab your boards and let's meet at the Kennedy Skate Park for a great night of free fun.
Movie in the Park: "Hugo"
Come Bring your lawn chairs and blankets; find a nice spot in the park and enjoy the five-time academy award winning movie "Hugo," 8:45 p.m. Saturday, June 30 at Gateway Park, 1st Street and Gila Street. The showing is free for the whole family, sponsored by Bill Alexander Flightline Mazda-Mitsubishi. This will be a fun night for the entire family to enjoy.
Paul Riley Late-Night Softball Tournament
The men's 12-inch tournament will take place July 27-28 at various City softball fields. Round-robin play will be followed by A/B playoff. Teams are guaranteed 4 games minimum. While early registration concluded Jan. 5, 2012, for $250 per team plus $24 ASA registration. Register with the City of Yuma Parks and Recreation Department at 928-373-5243 for $235 per team plus $24 ASA sanction fee.
Summer Skate Park Championship Series
Come out and try your best moves during the Summer Skate Park Championship Series, 7 to 11 p.m. July 5 and July 19 ("Championship Night") at the newly renovated Kennedy Skate Park. Let's find out who the best skaters in Yuma ages 12-18 are. Awards will be given to the winners of each event. It will be a great time of music, friends, and skateboarding. Fee: $1 per event.
- Yuma Boys Baseball League (YBBL) - Fall
The fall YBBL season runs Aug. 7 through Nov. 9, with early registration taking place June 11 through July 5. All new Minor and Major division players must attend the clinic at Cibola Athletic Complex on Aug. 7 and all new junior high players must attend the clinic on Aug. 8. Divisions are sorted by school grade level between kindergarten and grade 8 Registration is taken at City of Yuma Parks and Recreation Office. For more information, go to http://www.yumaboysbaseballleague.com/. (This link will take you to an external website that is NOT part of the City of Yuma official website.)
- Fall Yuma Youth Fast-Pitch (Girls) League
Season runs Aug. 7 through Nov. 2, with registration ($60 per player) taken June 11 through Aug. 2 at the City of Yuma Parks and Recreation Office. All new Minor Division (grades 3-5) and Major Division (grades 6-8) players must attend the clinic at Joe Henry Athletic Complex on Aug. 7. For more information, please contact 928- 750-6065 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Speed, Strength and Agility Training
This program is an introduction to sports training for ages 10 to 14. Participants will train using advanced training equipment and techniques. Plyometric and interval training will be introduced for power and explosiveness. Participants are sure to get faster, stronger, and more athletic all while having a great time. Classes meet 2:45 to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday during the two remaining summer sessions: July 2 through July 12 or July 16 through Aug. 26, at the Yuma Civic Center.Fee: $39; $27 with City resident credit. Call or visit Parks and Rec to register.
- Camp Awesome! - Session 3 still available
Camp Awesome! is coming to Yuma this summer for children ages 6 to 12 to experience days full of sports, games, activities, swimming, field trips and much more. Camp days are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, conveniently scheduled for working moms and dads, and you can sign up for one, two or all three sessions so it's convenient for any summer vacation you may have planned. Location is Gila Vista Junior High School, 2245 S. Arizona Avenue. Sign up now, as space is limited. Fee is $130 per session, plus a one-time $10 registration and camp T-shirt fee. Remaining available session will be held July 16-26. For more information please contact the City of Yuma Parks and Recreation Department at 373-5243 or go online at www.YumaAZ.Gov/parksandrec .
- Kids Kayak Class
Ages 8-15 are welcome to the world of kayaking in this introductory course designed to expose participants to a "sit on top" kayak, basic safety and paddling. The adventure will start off in a controlled setting before moving to Mittry Lake for a real open-water kayak experience. It all takes place 7 to 11 a.m. July 9-12 at Riverside Outdoor Recreation Center. Fees apply; register with Parks and Recreation.
- Treasure Hunting
Attention all you treasure hunters (ages 6-12), join us as we journey around Yuma in search for hidden treasures 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. July 16-19 at Riverside Outdoor Recreation Center. Together we will find clues, read a map, follow the clues, and use digging tools to find the hidden surprises. Fees apply; register with Parks and Recreation.
- Game Show Mania
"Come on down!" Ages 6-12 are invited to come and play all the game shows you know from TV, 3 to 4:45 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays July 9-18 at the North End Community Center. This program is sure to challenge your brain and have everyone laughing together as we have fun playing all of our favorite TV game shows. Fees apply; register with Parks and Recreation.
Adult and Senior Activities
- Arts and Crafts
- Tuesdays and Thursdays through Aug. 30
- Time: 9 a.m. to noon
- Location: North End Community Center
- Age: 50 and up
- Monthly Fee: $19; $13 with City resident credit
- Season Fee: $55; $37 with City resident credit
- Daily Fee: $2
- North End Community Center
Office hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. For more information, please call 928-373-5245
Pools and Aquatics
Regular pool hours are under way for June. Here's where you can cool off:
- Valley Aquatic Center, 4381 W. 18th St., offers open swim Tuesdays through Sundays from 1 to 7:45 p.m. through Sept. 25. Fees are $2.50 for children under 18 ($2 with City resident credit) and $5 for adults ($3.50 with City resident credit).
- Kennedy Pool, 23rd Street and Kennedy Lane, is open 1 to 5:45 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays through Aug. 5; 1 to 3:45 p.m. and again 6:15 to 7:45 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays through Aug. 3. Daily admission for youth 17 and under is $2; $1.50 for City residents and $4.50 per adult 18 and over or $3 for City residents.
- Marcus Pool, 5th Street and 5th Avenue, offers free open swim 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays through Aug. 2 thanks to the generosity of the Yuma Rotary Club.
Family, monthly and season passes are available for purchase at the Parks and Recreation Office (ONLY) on the first floor of City Hall, One City Plaza. Family passes are for immediate family use only.
Events Happening at Historic Yuma Theatre, Yuma Art Center, Yuma Civic Center, Desert Sun Stadium
Historic Yuma Theatre and Yuma Art Center Events, 254 S. Main St.
- The "Stargate to Downtown Yuma" Block Party kicks off 5 p.m. July 6 in front of the Yuma Art Center, 254 S. Main St. Festivities include the "Celebrating Yuma" art opening at the Yuma Art Center Galleries from 5 to 7 p.m. and a free showing of the movie "Stargate" at 7 p.m. in the Historic Yuma Theatre. On the street, Tommy & the Drifters will perform live on stage; a Hula Hoop contest takes place around 8:30. There will be stuff for the kids and a beer garden for adults plus free slices of watermelon for all. For more information call Perlita at 373-5028.
- Summer Six Pac 2012 - A summer of exceptional live theater experience runs through Aug. 12. Next up is the COYEA presentation of "California Schemin'," July 13-15 and July 20-22 at the Historic Yuma Theatre. Tickets are $10 for adults and $6 for 13 and under.
- Ongoing exhibits in the Yuma Art Center Galleries, 254 S. Main St. in Historic Downtown Yuma include an outstanding exhibit in the Central Gallery of photographs by Steve Wallace. Then in the West Gallery, find exceptional examples of art work from local artists, Linda Calahan and Adair Bentley. In the North Gallery, Mickey McLean exhibits his wild and wicked sculpture. Finally, in the South Gallery, the art of Josue Santana graces the walls with artistic expressions of society, family, and hope. Gallery 254 on the 2nd floor of the Art Center features the work of participants in the Community Intervention Associates exhibits called, "The Lived Experience." For more information about these shows and upcoming shows call the Yuma Art Center at 373-5202.
Purchase tickets at our ticket outlets, online at www.yumaaz.gov/events, or call 373-5202 (Art Center/Theater) or 373-5040 (Civic Center) for more information.